Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Compliment the Student

We always can find errors with a student's technique. A teacher might make hundreds of corrections over the years.

We should be careful not to only find errors but to compliment the student's improvement as well. Even if there are 10 things wrong with a student's kata, there may be 2 or 3 things to praise.

I believe that my first Shorin-Ryu instructor, Rodney Shimabukuro, learned this from his sensei, Tommy Morita.

When I went to Okinawa, there must have been literally thousands of things wrong with my kata because I had poor basics. When Sensei Katsuhiko Shinzato taught me, he was extremely encouraging, even if I made the slightest progress -- actually, I could only make the slightest progress. I can still hear him saying, "so, so, so, so, so!"

Compliment your students when they make progress.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin