Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Politics -- A Reason To Continue

It happens that many of the most kind and sincere Karate students/instructors are the least able to handle or endure the stress, negative consequences, and sheer waste of time of politics. See: Quitting Karate: Politics. There have been times in my life when I felt like quitting a particular martial art, dojo, or association because of politics. As a general rule, the larger the organization and the more money invovled, the worse the potential politics.

We are Karate students! We are not the United Nations. Our problems should not be as weighty.

One thing more than any other kept me going whenever I questioned whether I should continue -- who will teach the children? Of course, I am not the only teacher, but I do like to teach children (as well as adults). I have four of my own, now ranging in age from 12 to 24. They generally started training with me at the age of 5 or 6.

Children give us a reason to continue that is greater than our own interests. For children, we will endure hardships and inconveniences such as petty politics. When we teach for children we are not thinking about ourselves.

There are other good reasons to continue in the martial arts, but for myself, passing the art on to the next generation has always been the most important.

And we should do everything possible to form dojo where politics is not welcome or tolerated. Our students' training should not be tainted by such concerns.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin