Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Training To Hit

Several years ago a sensei visited Hawaii and observed my technique. He generously remarked:

"You are training to stop, not training to hit. Karate is about transferring power. You are keeping it all inside of yourself."
I always remember these words. Am I training to stop? Am I moving in a way to transfer power, or am I keeping it in?

It is not enough to try hard. Usually, this is part of the problem. You have to think about what it is you are trying to do. Are you trying to make a kata look good in the air? Imagine playing pool and always stopping the cue short of the cue ball. It might look good but the cue ball would stay put. You have to hit the cue ball in order to sink any balls.

We have to always keep in mind that we are training to hit and transfer power. You get no credit for power that you keep inside of yourself.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin