Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

You Are Only As Big As...

You are only as big as the smallest thing that upsets you.

Your wife (or husband) makes you late to a party and you get angry. That is how big you are.

Someone cuts you off on the road and you get angry. That is how big you are.

Your child writes on your best gi with a permanent maker and you go crazy. That is how big you are.

The other day, my three sons were playing tennis with one of their friends. It was a doubles match. My third son hit the ball hard at the net. It bounced off the ground and hit my first son in the face.

From what I heard, my first son got mad, which made my third son mad. They spoke about who could beat up who, at which point my second son claimed that he could beat them both.

My three sons, all of whom are close to six feet tall, were as big as... a tennis ball.

I told my oldest son that the next time he feels himself getting angry about something, he should try to laugh about it. I know that it is not always possible to laugh off a problem, but when the problem is small it might be a good way to prevent it from growing out of proportion.

You are only as big as the smallest thing that upsets you.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin