Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

I heard...

I heard of an instructor, who learned from a...

chief instructor, who learned from a...

shihan, who learned from a...

10th degree black belt, who learned from a...

president of an international organization, who learned from...

master, who learned from a...

grandmaster, who learned from a...

great grandmaster, who learned from a...

professor, who learned from a...

hanshi, who learned from a...

soke, who learned from an...

old man who taught in his back yard, who learned from a...

hermit who lived in a cave.

So I asked the instructor what the names were of the old man and the hermit. He did not know. I then asked him what the titles were of the old man and the hermit. He did not know. I asked him what the ranks were of the old man and the hermit. He did not know.

So I thought to myself, "The old man and the hermit had no names, no titles, and no ranks. They must have been pretty good!"

During my recent visit to Okinawa, I learned the highest title for a Karate instructor. I had not heard it before. It is truly unique to Okinawa. The title is: soki.

When you reach this level, you will truly have Karate in your bones!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin