Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Biological Clocks and the Bathroom

I have two students whose biological clocks are set to Karate training. As soon as we start class, they have to go use the bathroom. This has not only happened a few times, it basically happens all the time. Their clocks are set.

My mother grew up in Kitakyushu. She was born in 1933 and thus went through the war. Kitakyushu is a town in Fukuoka on the northern tip of the island of Kyushu. It was the target of many bombing raids and there was a bomb shelter near my mother's home. As soon as the bomb alarms would ring, the people in the neighborhood would rush to the bomb shelter.

It was hot and crowded in the shelter. My mother told me that without fail, as soon as she found herself in the bomb shelter, she would have to use the bathroom. There was not one in the shelter, so she would have to hold it.

But to this day, when she hears an alarm ring, she has to use the bathroom.

I understand that Kokura was the primary target for the second atomic bomb. This was fairly close to my mother's home (Kokura has since merged into Kitakyushu City). Because of cloud cover that day, the secondary target of Nagasaki was bombed. Had there not been clouds, my mother likely would have died that day.

When my students have to use the bathroom, I try to be understanding. When you have to go, you have to go.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin