Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

My Son Cael

I just published a Guest Post by my third son, Cael. See: Karate: Teaching is Learning. He writes about his experiences teaching Karate.

Cael began learning Karate at the age of 4. His older brothers are 4 and 8 years older than him, respectively. Despite their early size and weight advantage, Cael has always tried (and usually succeeded) in playing and competing with them.

Cael, like my eldest son Christopher, also practices Kendo under Sensei Arnold Fukutomi. Kendo has helped Cael to become very fast, and this is also apparent in his Karate.

Cael is now 18. I do not allow students to become shodan until they are 17. So in Cael's case, this took 13 years. I always feel that there is no rush in earning (or awarding) ranks. The emphasis should be in developing skill.

I am very glad that Cael has found that he is learning about Karate and himself by teaching others. Isn't that one of the main reasons why we all teach?

Way to go Cael! And thank you for always helping with the class.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin