Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Joy Of Being A Beginner

There is a certain joy that comes with being a beginner. There is no pressure on a beginner. He is not supposed to know anything. With practice, he can only get better!

When you are an advanced student or instructor, you always have to worry about what you will teach the beginners. Which beginners are there that day, what are their various levels, how will you group the beginners, who else is there that day to help teach? These thoughts are always in the back of our minds.

We start our class with mokuso (sitting quietly and clearing the mind). Often, as I sit there for this brief time, my mind is filled with the teaching possibilities for that training. The images flash before me, like movies on floating panes of glass. I have to stop and remind myself that I am supposed to be clearing my mind!

A couple of weeks ago I visited my senior friends to practice. We were working on basics, some of which differed from my own. It was so nice to be a beginner again!

Actually, I went home and was happy for the rest of the day.

If you are a beginner, try your best. But also enjoy your training and the joy of being a beginner.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin