Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Don't Do Anything

Writing about Sensei Sadao Yoshioka made me remember something he often told me. I started training under him when I was a student at the University of Hawaii. I was already a yudansha in Karate and taught my own classes. However, I was very young and foolish and did not understand the customs and etiquette of Aikido. As a result of my youthful enthusiasm, I often did things that were inappropriate or impolite and received good scoldings for it! Of course, I deserved it.

Yoshioka Sensei would tell me in private that I did things with good intentions, but still did them the wrong way. Wrong was wrong, intentions or not.

He told me this, "If you are not sure about what to do in the dojo, don't do anything. Just stand or sit there."

This was good advice for several reasons. If I did nothing, perhaps I could observe the situation and the proper course of action would become more obvious. Also, a senior might act, making it unnecessary for me to act. I could learn by watching the senior. Or, I could ask a senior about the right course of action. Later, I might also ask Yoshioka Sensei in private.

Yoshioka Sensei's advice is still good today, "If you are not sure about what to do in the dojo, don't do anything. Just stand or sit there."

Watch and learn.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin