Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Scratching The Surface

If you know me, you will know that I think that I am still scratching the surface of Karate. I just turned 50 and have practiced Karate for over 30 years, and other arts before and during that.

But in recent weeks and months I have realized something -- the surface of Karate is much thicker than I thought! The more I "scratch" it, the more I find! The surface of Karate is not like the skin of an apple, it must be more like the skin of a thick orange. I am not sure since I have yet to make my way through to the core.

I am extremely fortunate to know many senior instructors who know much, much more than I do. A small fish in a small pond may think he is big. But a small fish in a large pond has to watch out for the larger fish!

My friend and senior, Sensei Pat Nakata, has practiced Karate from about the year I was born. Our friend and senior, Sensei Bobby Lowe, has practiced Karate from about the year that Nakata Sensei was born (over 60 years). Knowing such fine Sensei makes it easy to be humble and possible to aim high.

2008. Another year of scratching the thick surface of Karate!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin