Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

A Calamansi Tree

I have two calamansi trees in my backyard. Calamansi is a small citrus. It looks like a little orange, ranging in size from the diameter of a quarter, to about twice that size. It all depends on the rain, sun, etc.

Calamansi is a Tagalog word. In Ilocano, I think they say calamundin. My wife is Tagolog, so I am unsure about other dialects.

Anyway, the older tree has been in our yard for many years. It is pretty big. About 5 years ago, I planted a smaller calamansi tree on the other side of the backyard. For about 4 years, it did not grow very much at all and barely had any fruit. It was pretty weak looking.

Finally, I thought about digging it up, but I waited. Well, in the last year, that tree really grew. It is now thick, and produces great fruit. In fact, the calamansi it produces are bigger and juicier than the older, larger tree.

I'm glad that I gave it another year and did not dig it out!

What does this have to do with Karate? You might have some mature, skilled students in your dojo. They are like the bigger tree. You might also have some newer students who don't really seem to catch on. They are like the smaller tree.

You have to give students time, just like the smaller calamansi tree. You can never tell when they will "take". They could be weak for years and years, and then all of a sudden blossom. The could become better than the best student you have now.

When a instructor mentions to me that a student is doing poorly, I generally say, "Give him time."

You never know when a student will catch on -- but that will never happen if they leave the dojo and stop training.

By the way, calamasi goes great with fish!

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin