Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Most Important Thing I Did Last Week

Last week was typically busy for me with my legal work, Hawaii Karate Museum work, teaching at the dojo, family matters, and I was sick with a nagging cold as well. Then there was the United States financial crisis. It was a pretty busy and interesting week.

However, everything I did last week seems trivial when compared to what happened on Thursday. That morning, as I was leaving for work I saw a 20 month child walking on the sidewalk and ran over and grabbed him when he was about 5 feet into the street. The child had somehow gotten out of his house unseen. I was so relieved and happy to return him safely to his parent.

I know that this kind of thing happens all the time. But if I had left for work just a little bit earlier or later, or had not been paying attention, things could have turned out very differently.

I have to tell you that my heart was pounding for 20 minutes. I have four children (aged 26, 22, 19, and 15) and I remember when they were little too. Accidents can happen even when we try our best to care for our children.

Coming to the aid of this child was the most important thing I did last week... and actually one of the most important things I could ever do. Events like this really put things in perspective.

Please watch out around you.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin