Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

How Long Will It Take?

Sometimes I am asked by potential students who have already earned dan ranking in other styles of Karate how long it will take for them to earn the same dan ranking in my dojo (which teaches Kishaba Juku Shorin-Ryu).

I think that it would be better for such potential students to ask how long it will take for them to learn our basics, our system of body dynamics, our approach to movement in general, the meaning of the movements in our kata, our view of Karate as being part of daily life, etc.

There are so many more important things to ask than when equivalent rank could be earned.

If pressed, I usually recommend that the student remain in his particular style of Karate if he is so attached to the rank he has earned. Why seek to learn from me when his heart is so attached to a belt? A student, of any age, should want to learn.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin