Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

I Like Goju-Ryu Too

In our Hikari Dojo, we were very fortunate to have Goju-Ryu Sensei Mitsugi Kobayashi, Morio Higaonna, Rodney Hu and Solomon Kupahu as visiting instructors. I also get the chance to train with Sensei Alan Lee, Sensei Kyle Nakasone, and their fine students, who are members of the Hawaii Karate Kenkyukai.

There are many things that I respect and like about Goju-Ryu, thanks to the excellent impressions made by these fine Sensei.

If I had not studied Shorin-Ryu, I would have liked to have learned Goju-Ryu from Sensei Tomu Arakawa. Actually, he was teaching at the Jikoen Temple which is on the corner of School Street and Likelike Highway. I did not know it back then (in the mid-1970s), but when I used to go up the Our Lady of the Mount Church in mid-Kalihi to learn Shorin-Ryu, I used to pass right by the Jikoen Temple.

Shorin-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, Shotokan, Kenpo... what matters is the character and skill of the Sensei.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin