Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

No Jewelry During Training

If you follow this blog, you know that I do not allow students to wear jewelry during class. This is first and foremost a safety issue.

I was speaking about this with a friend (senior) today. He related an interesting story. Many years ago, one of his students wore a wedding ring to class. During training, the student happened to break the very finger that the ring was on. Naturally, the finger became swollen, so much so that the ring had to be cut off with a hacksaw at the hospital. Needless to say, this caused the student great pain.

So if you don't want your precious ring to be cut in half with a hacksaw, leave it at home! Don't wear any jewelry during Karate training.

In the interest of fairness, this rule applies equally to men and women in our dojo. No one should wear any jewelry to class. And it is a bad idea to leave expensive jewelry sitting in a bag on the side of the room during training. So just leave it at home (or in a safe deposit box).

I never wear any rings or jewelry, but that is just "how I roll." My wife agrees that I do not need to wear a wedding ring because I always act married (32 years this month).

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin