Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Look First, Then What?

In my last post, Look First, I wrote about how you have to look before you move.

In many schools, students are taught to move in the following order: eyes, feet, hands. I remember learning this when I first started Shorin-Ryu.

With koshi (whole body torque), the sequence might be: eyes, feet, koshi, hands; or possibly eyes, koshi, feet, hands.

Personally, I do not use either pattern. Typically I use: eyes, koshi/hands, feet.

I know that this may seem odd to some readers -- feet last? But it is true. Actually, my koshi moves my hands and feet... but my feet usually move last.

Freedom of movement and timing are characteristics of our system.

But I do still look first.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin