Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Promoted and Crying

This is a story.

At a gathering of all the students in a particular style, the head Sensei called everyone to attention and announced that Sam was being promoted to 8th dan and awarded the title of Kyoshi. Sam's eyes welled up with tears and he began to sob.

"I know it is great honor," said the Sensei.

"That's not it," said Sam.

"I know that you do not feel worthy," said the Sensei.

"That's not it," said Sam.

"I know that you feel it is a great responsibility," said the Sensei.

"That's not it," said Sam.

"Well I don't understand," said the Sensei. "Why are you crying?"

"I can't afford it!" cried Sam.

The way I look at it, the student has paid for his rank and title by his hard work and the attainment of skill.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin