Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

A Thought About Bruce Lee

The other day, flipping through channels, I happened to turn to Enter the Dragon. I don't know how many time I've watched that great movie.

The movie was released in 1973. I was a freshman in high school at that time and of course, all martial arts students idolized Bruce Lee. I watched the movie at the theater, later on video, and many times on television.

Bruce Lee was born in 1940. When the movie was made, he must have only been about 31 or 32, at the most 33.

I was about 15 at that time. Now I am 53. I have reached the age where Bruce Lee, at the time he made Enter the Dragon, could have been my son! In fact, my eldest son will be 30 this year. I'm sure that some of you are my age or older. It is hard to imagine that the star of Enter the Dragon could be our son.

If he was still living, Bruce Lee would now be about 71. I wonder how his martial arts would have continued to evolve as he aged?

When I watch his movies, I am always saddened by the fact that he died so young. He certainly encouraged many young people to train in the martial arts.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin