Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Distinction of Naihanchi

Do you know who wrote this:

"The most important and significant distinction of Naihanchi lies not in developing fighting skills of offense and defense, but in training the lower parts of the body such as the waist and legs through slow and steady sideward movements with maximum strength, and also in building up those muscles indispensable to karate training."
The author was Shosin Nagamine in The Essence of Okinawan Karate -Do, Chapter V, page 148.

I have to say that I seem to view this series of kata, quite differently, especially with respect to the first part of the sentence. To me (in my humble opinion and with all respect to Nagamine Sensei), Naihanchi is rich with "fighting skills of offense and defense," perhaps more than any other kata or series of kata. To me, Naihanchi is the king of the other kata. I would like all my other kata to look like Naihanchi, rather than vice versa.

But that is just me.

In Kishaba Juku, Naihanchi Shodan and Nidan are usually the first two kata taught to beginners. They are the most basic kata, and in many ways, also the most advanced.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin