Karate Thoughts Blog


Contents   /   Email  /   Atom  /   RSS  /  

1650+ Posts... and Counting

Pinan Yondan - Part 12

When you execute the first movement of Pinan Yondan, you are in a left neko ashi dachi (cat stance with your left foot forward). From the ready position, you move/drop into this stance.

But how? This is an important question.

Many people say that movements follow this pattern: eyes, feet, hands.

This is always true, however, it also not always true. It is not that rules are made to be broken, it is that rules are made for beginners.

If you first look to the left, then step slightly forward with your right foot, then turn into nekko ashi dachi, then execute the two hand movements (as described in earlier posts), you will be too late. The attacker will surely hit you.

Personally, I rarely move my feet first. I usually move my hands and feet together. They move together because of an important point: the feet and hands are powered by the same, koshi (core driven) body movement. I do not move my feet with one body motion and my hands with another. The same body motion (internal torque) powers both.

Since there is only one body movement, my feet and hands move together, but are slightly off timed.

When my feet reach the neko ashi dachi position, my hands will be recoiling from the strikes. It will look like my feet and hands are moving together. But actually, my hands are slightly ahead, and they too are off timed.

Again, when my feet are in position, my hands will have already struck. It will not be a case of stance first, then hand movements. And there will not be two or more body movements to power these movements. There will be only one body movement with multiple effects. And this is all timed with the body drop, as previously described.

Respectfully,

Charles C. Goodin